You will need the following useful documents completed for all new employees:
(These are all available for downloading)
- Starter Checklist - required form by whoever is sorting out the payroll
- New Employee Registration Form - required for payroll
- Personal Information Sharing Mandate - this allows you to share their information to the insurance and payroll providers. Not essential but it covers you in case of any future problems
- PA Reference Form - Example PA reference form
- Template Contract Scotland Jan
It is essential to have a job contract - we use the following template provided by Fish Insurance Company (Template Contract Scotland Jan)
You will need to think about the following questions:
- Who is the employer? (POA/Guardianship)
- What is their address?
- Who is th employee?
- What is their start date?
- What is th usual place of work?
- What are the normal hours of work?
- Are the hours going to be flexible? How is it going to be arranged? This could be via Whatsapp chat but you need to write how it will be arranged.
- What is the pay? You need to decide this. A budget sheet can sometimes help you to decide. SCC can also talk to you about what factors you need to consider when setting your wages.
- How is holiday pay going to be paid (if you decide to roll up holiday pay this needs to be mentioned in the contract)
- Will there be any training?
- Do they need a driving license? PA's are required to have an appropriate licence and car business insurance for the vehicle being driven in order to complete their duties. It is the employer's duty to check this.
- Amount of notice you require the PA to give?
It is best to have 2 copies of the contract, one for you and one for the employee.
Also useful is a timesheet for your employee to keep track of the hours they have worked. We have this example timesheet: Blank Timesheet